Started Nov 28, 2005 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bazarov
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
Pentax Optio 33L review
Nov 28, 2005

I took this camera on an around-the-world trip in 2004, spanning such extreme places as Siberia, Egypt, Vietnam, China and France. During this trip, the camera accompanied me on a variety of activities, such as skiing in the Alps, hiking in the Himalayas and sea kayaking southeast Asia, and kept on shooting. The camera finally died this summer in Alaska, during a 3 hour ice climb, when I insisted on taking pictures in subzero weather in the pouring rain. The speed of the camera is not world class, nor is its low-light performance, but it delivered very good picture quality in somewhat extreme conditions, and it took a lickin' until the bitter end. I purchased the camera in 2003 for $170, which was over $50 less than the nearest 3 megapixel camera from reputable competitors. All in all, a great buy, and it gets a high recommendation for anyone needing a sturdy little camera for travel or pleasure while on a budget.

Problems:

Low-light performance is average at best, and the flash is not helpful outdoors. Construction is good against the elements, but I noted that the buttons began to loose their touch after prolonged use. Still, it survived well over 10,000 shutters over the course of its life.

bazarov's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow