Started Dec 2, 2005 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
edscribbler
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Pentax Optio S6 review
Dec 2, 2005

This is an update from a previous post after using the camera more.

I bought the original (3 MP) Optio S and carried it around with me everywhere in the Altoids tin. When it finally broke (lens got stuck in the extended position) I immediately got the S6. The increase to 6 MP seems a bit much for the tiny lens (I use 4MP) but the improved video at 640x480 with MPEG4 compression for as long as you have memory and battery is HUGE, the image stabilization is just ok (crops the outside edges). I feel that I do not need a video camera now. If you intend to take videos at all make sure you get a camera with 640x480 videos with MPEG4 compression, it makes all the difference in the world when compared to 320x240. Oh yeah, better get a big memory card too, 1G or more, you get about 3 seconds per MB.

Thank you Pentax for FINALLY switching the power & shutter buttons.

Unfortunately the photos are not as improved as the video on this camera. I was expecting an improvement in picture quality but other than more pixels, the images seem to be only marginally better than the optio s. The auto focus works in strong daylight but not so well in moderate or dark pictures. I also only use iso 64 and still see a little noise. Finally, the screen broke halfway through the trip (only 2 months old) so quality seems to be lacking in my 2 Pentax cameras.

I have returned my optio s6 and am now re-evaluating my next ultra compact purchase. I still feel this is a good camera considering its extremely small size but the newly announced optio A10 sounds like a better buy.

Problems:

No viewfinder makes pictures in near dark a trial and error method, but the big screen is worth it (until it breaks)

Same lens as on the Optio S and that one broke (admittedly after several thousand pictures though)

Buy a second or even a third battery. The big beautiful screen drains the juice quickly.

Picture quality is ok, could be better though. Pentax needs to put a little more R&D into the lens.

LCD screen broke after 2 months of use

edscribbler's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow