Started Dec 8, 2005 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
andylorenz
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T5 review
Dec 8, 2005

Excellent camera, but design a real step down from its predecessor. I had a T1 before, and expected the T5 to have been subject to the usual Sony design treatment where things just got even better. Here are the fundamental flaws and the points where Sony have demonstrated to me that they aren't THINKING :

1. They have moved the microphone from the middle of the top edge to the far left - only then to be completely covered by my fingertip because its the natural place to 'balance' your grip on the camera with your right finger on the shutter release button.

2. The unobtrusive mode selector on the T1 (a discrete slider on the side of the casing) has been replaced by a more obtrusive selector on the top edge, which could easily be moved by catching it on something

3. The battery cannot be charged in-camera. So it has to be taken out - and therefore every charge requires you to open the casing on a relatively flimsy hinge, which has to be a candidate for wear and tear until such time as it will probably break

4. No 'shoe' is available, meaning the camera has to be laid on its side to plug in the cable - and you can't have the shoe pre-cabled into your PC and it waiting nicely on your desk for the next time you need to dock it (for picture download or a little recharge). Why would Sony think this is a better approach than a simple shoe arrangement ?

5. The power cable connector on the T1 was a click in/click out affair which worked very nicely - the act of pulling it from the camera pulled the 'hooks' out the way so there was never any danger of damaging anything. The T5 is one of those horrible "push the buttons in first" style which begs to cause problems disengaging it.

6. The lens continues to be too far to the left hand side - Sony should ship this camera with a big neon sign saying "bet your fingers get in the way of the lens all the time". I just hope they have a really good engineering reason to keep it so far to the side instead of nearer the middle.

On the plus side, I'm glad to see that there is now a tripod mount included. But that is the only plus point on what is otherwise an identical camera - the biggest selling point of which (to me) is its EXCELLENT 2.5" screen which has proved to be the most impressive aspect of this camera - for both framing shots and best of all reviewing pictures and movie clips after they've been shot (everyone always loves to see themselves after you've taken their pic!)

Problems:

in terms of actual usage, apart from those points mentioned above, this is a delightful camera.

andylorenz's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow