Started Dec 9, 2005 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cme4brain
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Pentax Optio S5i review
Dec 9, 2005

What a great camera! I owned an Optio S (3MP) and gave that to a family member and bought this gem. It is small and compact and takes great images! Yes, the autofocus may require a recomposure to get the pix (the focus brackets turn green with a locked focus). The lens at wide open aperture is a little soft in the corners but you can compensate for this by either zooming out the lens or set the "mode" on landscape which uses a smaller f/stop. Softness disappears at f/4.3 or smaller- much testing done to come to that conclusion. This is a rugged little camera that fits in an Altoid tin (world's best camera case!) and I take it everywhere- including my wedding reception with pix good enough (full frame) to be included in my wedding album (that I never would have gotten if I couldn't have slipped it in my tux pocket!). I have decided NOT to buy a digital SLR because this camera is so convenient to take with me- why lug around a bulky SLR and external flash? The night mode (4 seconds max. exposure) is great and you can add flash for dramatic pictures. The little flash does a great job of daytime fill in- I am thoroughly impressed with this camera. I may upgrade to the S6 in the near future. This camera certainly makes the point that if you can't slip it in your pocket, you probably won't take it.

Problems:

Lens is a bit soft in the corners at wide open aperture, correctable (see above) but many cameras have this if you look close.

cme4brain's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow