Started Dec 13, 2005 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mikeperl
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?
Nikon Coolpix 5200 review
Dec 13, 2005

Great little camera which gives stunningly high resolution images across the frame when examined critically - something which many of the smaller cameras seem unable to do. Excellent natural colour and almost perfect white balance. Exceptionally good macro for a mini camera. Doesn't really offer much manual control apart from ASA equivalent setting, but performs very well within its limitations. In my view the "soft image" question is a total non-issue, as the images are very high resolution and look extremely natural. I do not feel any need to post-process them. In most other ways it is about as good as the competition - there are some annoyances compared with a "serious" camera but it is very usable. And the output is *very good indeed*.

Problems:

Won't bother many people, but lens distortion at wide-angle is higher than I'd hoped for (no better than or maybe slightly worse than some competing cameras) and spoils an otherwise near-perfect technical performance.

Oh, and the AF is less reliable than 5 year old Nikons at long focal lengths, and bad enough to be an annoyance - don't believe the stuff about the AF light providing some sort of panacea where AF is concerned.

mikeperl's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow