Started Jan 11, 2006 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Person
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S60 review
Jan 11, 2006

I have owned the DSC-S60 for almost 4 months now, and 4,500 pictures later, I have to say I'm quite satisfied with the lil bugger. Although it isn't the perfect camera out there, it will satisfy any beginning photographer's needs. It's smaller than a normal size wallet, and will easily fit in your pocket, so anyone looking for a portable, everyday camera will love this one. The camera feels kind of "plastic-y", but don't let the feel fool you- I've dropped it numerous times on tiled floors and it never made so much as a scratch (once even when the battery door was open). It has enough features for anyone wanting to start with photography; it has all the standard presets and manual overrides that we've come to expect from digital cameras nowadays, and it also has something that's probably the reason you're looking at it in the first place- the movie mode. So lemme go over that real quick:
On Fine quality with a 512mb memory card, you can fit 6 minutes and 8 seconds of video. Yes, the fine mode (640x480) takes up a *lot* of space, that averages out to about 85mb per minute... If you want a camera with a movie mode with high quality but your computer doesnt have much space, don't count on being able to fit everything you take on your computer (I have about 6 gigs of footage from this camera, in only 3 months!) But on the brighter side, if you change the quality to standard (also 640x480), it's a much more acceptable 22 minutes per 512mb. The lowest setting, (160x160) will fit over 5 hours onto 1 512mb memory card, but the video is very small and hard to see. In terms of actual footage, the camera does as well as anything else I'd have to say... It doesn't have anything special, the mic is acceptable, the video isn't "shaky" when you use your hands, and you are allowed to apply the B&W or Sepia settings to the video... Pretty standard, nothing too special about it...
About the other features, I don't need to go over them, because that's what dpreview is for but everything works about like you'd expect it to, there are no hidden "this-doesn't-work-as-advertised" gimmicks; everything does what it's supposed to. The flash works well, the white-balance is accurate, the flash isn't too strong.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/BlackDragon129/72907f19.jpg

The menu is easy to learn and use, and you can access anything you need to do fairly quickly.
Overall, if you are looking for a camera with more serious intentions in mind, you might want to try a higher-end model. But if you just want a camera to shove in your pocket for the walk to the park, then this $200 piece of equipment should be more than suited for your needs.

Problems:

There aren't any glaring issues with it that I can think of... but there are minor things, such as the screen easily getting dirty, the bottom getting scratched, and the optical viewfinder getting a little dirty (I can barely see out of mine, but maybe that's because it's in my pocket 8 hours a day)
These are more or less cosmetic issues though, and the look doesn't matter nearly as much as the function.

Person's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow