Started Mar 27, 2006 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gslrider
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Pentax Optio S6 review
Mar 27, 2006

Tested the Optio S6. Great in it's compactiblity, and simple to use interface. I would even give kudos some of it's extra "after shot" effects. But I expected a little more out of this camera. I was looking for a simple point and shoot camera, that was ultra compact. Wasn't really even concerned about amazing quality pictures. But this camera was a little disappointing in ways of that. My Canon A520 4MP, takes better quality pics.

The Optio S6 has poor image quality in low light situation, a quarter my pics where out of focus. and half of the ones that weren't out of focus were pretty dark (yes the flash went off). Outside pics are hit and a miss. Sometimes great, sometimes not so great (even outside some pics were dark). And the shot to shot speed is pretty slow. From focusing to taking the shot is about 3 sec. Pretty slow by digital camera standards.

At the end of the day, even the long Battery life (took pics all night and sitll had some power left over), the fact that it's so compact you almost forget you have it, as well as the large 2.5" screen, and all metal chassis wasn't enough to make me want to hold on to this little (almost) jem.

I'm returning this camera, and will try out the Canon SD450. Not as compact (but very close), and apparently takes much better shots. And it's within the same price range. Goes to show you, more megapixels isn't always better.

Problems:

Poor pics in low light
Flash inadequate illumination
Slow shot to shot (when focusing, long lags between shots)
Video doesn't work well with a Mac (no volume).
Quite a bit of noise in video.

gslrider's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow