Started May 8, 2006 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chris_dillon
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Ricoh Caplio GX8 review
May 8, 2006

I have been using the GX8 for 11 months now and I am impressed with the quality and features this little box has to offer. Apart from being very fast to boot and get a good photo in an instant, the manual options for such a small camera are fantastic. Battery life is excellent. My GX8 came with battery and charger. Spare batteries are available for around $20 off ebay. USB2.0 is nice and fast for transfer to computer.
GX8 works fine with Windows XP.
The camera is very light and fairly discrete.
You can purchase additional lenses which attach easily. The DW4 lens is a good option to go for great wide angle.
Firmware is easily upgradable.
I would recomend this camera to anyone backpacking that wants more than a point a click solution. The manual settings are easy to understand and get going without reading the manual.
The 1cm macro is amazing, you can get really good bug eye shots with little effort.
Time lapse is easily achieved using the automatic interval feature.
I have no regrets purchasing this camera.

Problems:

The flash bounces off the addon lens creating shadow on the subject. You can use the shoe flash to get around this.

Software it comes with sucks.
Just download Picasa2 from Google it works great.

Tripod is required in low light to stop blurring.

chris_dillon's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow