Started Jul 13, 2006 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Carl Buellwinkle
Contributing MemberPosts: 790
Like?
Pentax Optio W10 review
Jul 13, 2006

I bought this camera for a trip to Hawaii because I wanted a sand and surf friendly camera. I have 2 Canon S410 cameras for casual trips where my dslr is just too big and heavy. This camera is light enough for a shirt pocket. I love my Canon digital Elphs but the W10 blows it away in every catagory and it's waterproof to boot. Check out the underwater pics on my site at http://www.buellwinkle.com/July4th/ I gave the camera to 8-10 year olds playing in the pool at a neighbor's party and they took these pics, not me. Above water the color accuracy and saturation is excellent (very little post processing). I tried some pics at ISO 400 and very low noise for this size camera. Also, much less purple fringing than the Canon cameras.

Problems:

This camera has not been very waterproof. Took it underwater and after about 20 min of some snorkeling it leaked water and short circuited. Judging from comments on the Pentax forum, there's others that experienced the same problem. All in salt water. People that use it strickly in pools didn't report this problem

I wish the camera had an optical viewfinder. I just find it very difficult to hold the camera steady at telephoto without being able to press it against my head to stabilize it.

Carl Buellwinkle's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow