Started Jul 14, 2006 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
T Wright
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?
Canon PowerShot A430 review
Jul 14, 2006

I have been using a Canon S45 for a few years. I wanted a bit smaller camera that ran on AA batteries instead of a propriatary battery pack. The A430 has some good features.

1. Quick start up time.
2. A quality lens and Good zoom.
3. Fairly compact for a camera that runs on AA's.
4. Canon quality images.
5. Movie mode and good sound capture.
6. Good variety of picture shooting modes and settings.
7. Optical viewfinder with zoom.

The camera does not have,

1. Shutter or apreature priority. You wont be able to shoot long exposure night scenes, but I have the S45 for that.
2. Only 2 stitch modes, right to left, and left to right. This doesn't matter too much, I was doing stitches by eye through the veiwfinder and stitching them after. You have to watch the exposure this way, but it's do-able.
3. A small view screen. I just mention this as so many cameras are advertizing a large veiw screen, usually sacraficing the optical viewer. With those you have to run the screen all the time. I typically have the screen shut off and I use the optical viewer most of the time to extend battery life. I have a computer for viewing the pictures in a large format.

For my needs this camera fills the bill nicely. It is small enough to carry in the pocket and the images are Canon quality. 4 megapixels is more than enough for the images I print (8.5 X 11 at the most) so I am not getting caught up in the 'Pixel Wars'.

A good camera for under $200.

T Wright's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow