Started Aug 8, 2006 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Steve Jacobs
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Pentax *ist DL2 review
Aug 8, 2006

This Pentax *ist DL quite a pleasurable experience. With this Pentax *ist DL only being out of the box for a week, it reminds me often why I have been Pentax customer for quite some time and will continue to be so.

What strikes one immediately is how well the interface and software was constructed and implemented by the Pentax engineer's. The Pentax engineers have virtually anticipated (very nicely) how the user would use and interact with the camera as well as it's functions. It is very approachable (not all intimidating or cryptic having you run for the nearest user guides) and invites being used. I find this in striking contrast to other manufacturers (who will remain nameless) who have seemed to take the attitude that they intuitively know what's best for you and what you are trying to accomplish and how we (the manufacturer are the experts and we know what's good for you.

The resulting images produced are stunning!

Although the larger the pile of mega pixels forth coming from manufacturers is good, producing acceptable results regardless of mega pixels is better; that's why I bought the camera to begin with. As some appear to get wrapped around the mega pixel axel, waiting for the next big thing, losing sleep over spherical abreations and dead pixels and doing nothing, I am thoroughly enjoying this imaging experience as well as those for whom I deliver results.

To make a long personal review bearable, I will conclude that I have emassed a collection of Pentax "S" mount lenses which I have used with the Pentax *ist DL with remarkable results. The resulting image quality would make the images from the Hubble telescope look like they used the bottles of Coke bottles for optics. To facilitate use of these marvels of glass with the Pentax *ist DL I invested in "S" to "K" adapters for each of them and have mounted them on the lens instead of the body. This has proved to provide me a great deal of flexibility interchanging lens on the fly since I also have several Pentax "K' mounts lens.

This review is relative to having purchased and used several Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Sony, Konica and Kodak DLSRs.

Be well

Problems:

None worth mentioning!

Steve Jacobs's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow