Started Aug 14, 2006 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lkv11
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom review
Aug 14, 2006

I've had the camera for about a year. It's been a very good performing camera, giving me many high quality shots with beautiful life like colors right out of the camera. The camera is incredibly solid, professional looking unit, and fits very well in my hands. It has a huge lens which distinguishes it from most point-and-shoots so people often take notice and will think you are a serious photographer (not a bad thing at all). The 8080 is the ideal camera for me, and others who happen to be an intermediate level or serious amateur photographer.

I love taking the 8080 when I am travelling because it is an all in one camera, more lightweight and compact than an SLR, and still delivers very high quality pictures. I like the fact that I don't have to change lens because I have all the range I need from 28mm wide angle to a good telephoto length of 140mm. Some might say that it doesn't have enough reach, but I don't think that's a problem for me. I just have to move closer to the object I am photographing, and this works most of the time (some people just want the camera to do all the work!).

The camera has so many features that I won't even list them here. All the features that are used most when taking a pictures like white balance, exposure compensation, metering, and image size have dedicated "Direct" buttons on the body so that you don't have to go into the menus. There is also a handy "custom button" which I assign to change ISO settings.

I've taken over 7000 frames and its still performing strong!

Problems:

The rubber grip on the handle is starting to peel away from the body. I've heard this happened to some other people with other cameras in the C series. Camera has been sent back to get this fixed under warranty.

Manual focusing is terribly thought out. Very slow and not accurate method to focus.

lkv11's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow