Started Aug 16, 2006 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Plutone
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Fujifilm FinePix F470 Zoom review
Aug 16, 2006

This is a very compact point and shoot camera. Good to take with you wherever you go. Fits in your pocket.

It is quite robust. Metal cover, Big viewfinder screen, well protected by a thick perspex panel.

Viewfinder is fast enough and has a highlight option for bright light conditions.

Image quality is reasonable, but it is wise to allways use the highest image quality.

400 ASA is usable for snaspshots.

Good colors. Great for holiday use.

There are lots of issues, see next section. However, it is good value for money . In july 2006 I payed EUR 259 for the kit, including LiIon battery, charger, carrying bag and 512 MB xD card).

Problems:

It is slow, slow, slow. My 5 year old HP/Pentax 912 is a lot more responsive.

Switching it on takes between 2 and 3 seconds, focusing between haf and one and half second (dependant on light conditions) and even shooting when focused takes some time.

Zooming by push buttons is both slow and inaccurate.

This is not the camera for poor light conditions. Both lens and viewfinder have problems there.

Lots of settings are in the menu only. An extra dial wheel is really missed here.

No raw shooting available.

Focusing is inaccurate in difficult conditions and again: too slow.

Lower image qualities are (too) aggresively compressed an should be avoided.

This is not the camera for macro pictures. Shortest distance that can be focused is not close enough.

I really miss an optical viewfinder. Like on many of these pocket cameras. O yes, it is big and clear, and gives a good idea of WHAT is on the picture. However, it hardly tells HOW it is on that picture. I really need more, would even prefer a simple optical viewfinder with their parallax problems. I may once invent some lightweight black bag covering my head, that lets the camera peep out, giving me a really good view on this viewvinder.

An other issue with this type of viewfinder is that freehand shooting is the only option (nobody will use a tripod for such a pocket thing). This will cost at least one stop, as it is really difficult to hold it still when holding it freehand.

Plutone's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow