Started Aug 27, 2006 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ddelaiarro
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Konica Minolta DiMAGE X1 review
Aug 27, 2006

I had owned the DiMage Xi for a few years and absolutely loved it. I used it for everything from family parties to shooting surfing, wakeboarding (both in a waterproof case) and snowboarding. For the most part it worked out well. I was hoping that I'd get even better performance with the DiMage X1.

8MP, compact design, and a history of use with the DiMage line lead me to this purchase and, honestly, I couldn't have been more disappointed.

The size, ease of use, and availability of memory cards, batteries, and underwater housings make this a great camera. But the problems listed below far out-weigh any of these advantages.

Problems:

1. Construction - the camera is beautiful looking, but the housing with the shiny finish has two main faults. First, it can sratch and dent very easily. The camera was shipped with one of the cords packed tight to it. Just from shipping, this cord scratched the shiny surface and also dented it slightly. Secondly, any grease from your fingers makes this surface less than easy to grasp. This type of situation is unacceptable when you are trying to take pictures in action shots where dropping the camera may mean imminent doom.

2. Shutter Lag - My main concern. As I mentioned, I take a lot of motion-type pictures (including kids and pets). By the time I pushed the shutter and the camera snapped, the picture was nothing like what I wanted to capture. This also may have to do with my Point 3

3. Picture Quality - No matter what I did, I couldn't get this camera to take 'tight' or sharp photos. Everything had a grainy or soft feeling to it. My DiMage Xi took great photos and I was hoping the X1 would follow suit. I imagine that adding the Anti-Shake feature and removing the ISO 400 setting has a big hand in all of this. Even pictures taken at the beach on a sunny day (not a cloud in the sky) lead to soft pictures.

Overall, I'd say that this camera is not worth the money if you value the quality of your shots. You can get a better camera for the money.

ddelaiarro's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow