Started Sep 17, 2006 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sierra Oscar
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Canon PowerShot A630 review
Sep 17, 2006

Just purchased the A630, and I must admit to being very surprised at the quality of
my initial test images. Essentially this camera will suit the needs of ppl who don't
want to lug their SLR/DSLR or larger format film cameras around - but also don't
want the compromise in features of the current ultra compact class of cameras.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's a pity (for my market anyway) this doesn't come with a fast NiMH rechargeable
kit, so I'd recommend purchasing one at the same time. Mine cost me about AU
$58.00. Battery longevity is outstanding with the NiMH-type. I'd also recommend
buying at least one - 1GB SD card - the card that is shipped with the camera -
holds only a couple of images - and is near useless / impractical b/c of this.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The A630 is a great point and shoot with manual operation - and you won't be
afraid to carry this around where ever you go - so no more missed opportunities b/c
you didn't want the hassle of your regular equipment.
I've also rated the image quality as 'excellent' - b/c I think it is with correct
exposure and usage - for the price and class. Having said that, this camera doesn't
yield the images of my somewhat antiquated Nikon FE/35mm or my medium format
Mamiya - so I rated it relatively speaking.
Will add to this review in a few weeks - when I've really put this through it's paces
in all conditions - as I will be carrying this around with me everyday.

Problems:

Construction isn't as robust I as would like, compartments etc feel a bit flimsy -
however this isn't unlike any other camera of its class. I guess as we want lightweight
cameras, this is the payoff. I can't see it being an issue, more an issue of perception
of quality than anything real perhaps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is some noise with the camera - but it's within the limits of what I would
consider 'normal' operation of a compact digital point and shoot.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sidenote: Not sure why this review is double spaced - I didn't submit it that way.

Sierra Oscar's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow