Started Sep 19, 2006 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
metafarmer
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Canon PowerShot A630 review
Sep 19, 2006

I received my A630 in the mail yesterday and have only spent a few hours with the camera but have been extremely impressed with it so far. My previous digital camera was a Powershot A40 that recently suffered some water damage and stopped working. I had been considering the A620 based on glowing reviews but when the A630 was availabe for the same price I decided to go for it.
The image quality with the A630 is excellent and the array of features/programmable/manual settins is duanting. It is almost overwhelming the number of things you can do with this camera. That might be a downside to some, as it can lead to some confusion, but I think it's great that this camera gives you so much room to explore and grow as a photographer.
The LCD is bright, sharp and clear, although the resolution on the menu systems is a little grainy. Not a big deal as far as I'm concerned. The performance of the camera in general is snappy. It's quick to start up, quick to change settings, recycle the flash, etc.
The zoom is very good and one thing I've been really impressed with is the digital zoom. I'm used to digital zooms being basically useless, but I was shocked at how sharp this feature can be in the A630.
The build/feel of the unit is solid. It's not the smallest or lightest camera but ergonomically designed and easy to use. I personally don't like ultra-compact units as I find the controls very hard to use. The A630 is small, but it still feels like you've got a solid grip when using it.

Like many on this site, I've been waiting for the official reviews to come in on the new A630/A640's. I'm leaving on a trip in the next couple of weeks so I couldn't wait for those so I went ahead and took the plunge. I can say that I'm very happy I did. This camera is availabe for a great price online and offers so much value for the money.
I don't have any images to post yet but might put some up in the future. There are images that have been posted online by others though. I hope this is helpful to others considering buying the A630.

Problems:

The only problem I've had so far is figuring out the zoom and macro settings along with the manual focus for extremely upclose objects. Sometimes I'm able to get the focus correctly and other times I'm not. I just need a little more time to play with these features.

The only other problem (that's not really a problem) is that there are so many adjustable settings that it can seem overwhelming. I find it exciting to explore all the functions, but others might find it daunting.

metafarmer's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow