Started Oct 16, 2006 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thorntop
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Olympus FE-170 review
Oct 16, 2006

Just purchased a FE170 for my daughter and have been testing it out for the past week. It is a very tidy little camera with good large LCD and appears to be well put together. Simple to operate with good menus and help. However I am very disappointed with the picture quality. In anything other than bright sunlight the pictures are very grainy. The lens is so slow that camera shake is a real problem and the flash is only good over a few meters. There is an image stabilisation option which helps a little but I don’t really understand how this works. I guess there must be some trade off in image quality, you don’t get anything for free. I am sure saving the pictures at half resolution would be just as good and would save a lot of memory. I feel the FE170 lens is just not capable of delivering 6MB resolution.
Perhaps I am just expecting too much of a £99 camera.

Problems:

I can’t get used to no optical viewfinder. When taking a picture the LCD goes blank for about 2 seconds before the image appears. Personally I find this quite disconcerting. I want to see the subject before, during and after exposure.

thorntop's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow