Started Nov 6, 2006 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mark power
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 review
Nov 6, 2006

It is is a cunning little camera, jewel-like, and well designed ( I have the black version) and Ive shot about 1000 pictures with it and so far gotten some excellent photographs. I like almost everything about it, the resolution - the Leica lens is a winner - the w.a. lens especially in conjunction with the wide-screen format makes for some really nice pictures. The menus are easy to use and quick. Now for the issue of noise.yes, it's noisy at speeds much over 100. But there's good noise and there's bad noise and this camera has good noise. It reminds me of Tri-X grain and on some shots I've deliberately shot at over 100 to get that 'look'. Which to my mind just adds to the versatility of the camera. I also have a Sony RSC R1 and now that has become my 'view' camera which I take out when on shooting sessions. The LX2 is my '35mm' camera which I carry with me daily and get shots I wouldn't get with the larger Sony.

Problems:

Those are the pluses - the negatives: it's so small I'll probably lose it like I do with my cell phone frequently. it's also somewhat slippery; I wish it had a leather finish for a better grip. With a standard SD card and using RAW ( another plus) it's not fast. But neither am I so that's not a problem. I wish I could set the flash intensity on RAW and RAW also doesn't support bracketing. ( My Sony does both on RAW). The battery could use a bit of beefing up but I've been spoiled by the Sony battery which never seems to lose a charge. I don't find the stablization to be all that great probably because the camera is so small. I used to have a Minolta A2 and that stabilization worked a lot better. But it was a bigger heavier camera. The Sony doesn't have that feature and doesn't seem to need it - again a heavier camera.

I haven't tried out the burst shooting or the video capabilities.

mark power's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow