Started Nov 18, 2006 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jtuds
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T9 review
Nov 18, 2006

I was looking for the smallest camera possible to replace my 2 MP Kodak that is is about the size of a brick and is really not what I would consider portable because it cannot be pocketed and I don't enjoy wearing one of those really cool camera cases on my belt whenever I take it out. So, I was looking for 2 things, better zoom and small size. Megapixels is unimportant to me because anything I print off is no bigger than a 4x6 and most pictures will stay on my computer anyways.

In my search for a small camera I came down to 2 options, the T9 and the Casio s600 (I stayed away from the T10 because it costs alot more and the 1 MP extra doesn't matter to me.) So, when I started my search I was told that the Sony was better, and I asked why. The response I got from one salesperson was, "because it's a Sony, would you want a watch and calculator manufacturer making your camera?"...referring to Casio

So, I thus decided that if I really want to know, I should check for myself. In the end, I went with the Casio. It is smaller (but by so little it really doesn't matter). The main reason was because it had less red eye, faster zoom, better battery life, and a far better price point (over 100 dollar difference here in Canada).

The LCD on the Sony blows away the LCD on the Casio, but who only looks at their pics on the camera? What matters is how they look on the computer and in print, and the lower red eye on the Casio won in that area. Also, the Zeiss lens is a plus with the Sony, but I did not notice that it changed the quality of the photos.

I didn't see any of the white spots or severe quality problems that others saw thought. I will admit, however, that the reviews I read on here, especially the ones in which people said that they own other, older P&S cameras that they prefer to use, helped me make my decision....as did the generally positive reviews for the s600.

Positives:

Lenses contained in camera, less risk of damage.

Wonderfully clear and large LCD on camera

Great Macro if you are into that...I never use it.

Problems:

Bad red eye, slow zoom (considerable slower than the Casio), high price for what you are getting (surely because it says Sony on it)

WHen you shop....SHOP. Don't listen to the salesperson promoting one product and bashing another, don't look at the name on the front...use the camera. See if you like it for what YOU plan to use it for. That's what I did and boy am I glad, I saved a ton of money and got exactly what I wanted. I am not saying don't buy this camera, but I do personally believe that for the money there are better options.

jtuds's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow