Started Nov 20, 2006 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Simon RO
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Olympus SP-500 UZ review
Nov 20, 2006

This camera was an insurance replacement for my UZ750 which was unfortunately stolen at the Alhambra in Granada. There are pros and cons for the updated model.

The larger viewing screen is a plus, as is the easier switching between screens, and a much quicker start up time.
Genral handling and battery life are good, and though seemingly flimsy, as other reviewers have noted, the body seems robust enough.

I don't mind about lack of image stabilisation, as on other cameras I've seen , this just degrades quality, and with the eyelevel viewfinder I find it is much easier to keep steady at a relatively slow shutter speed

However there are 2 big minuses which make me long for my 750 (I might go on eBay and try and find one again)

Problems:

These are firstly - a really terrible little eyelevel viewfinder - no eyesight correction, and nasty distortion. Over about 6 months I have sort of got used to it, but it is much more of strain than the predecessor's , or from what I've seen, rivals like Canon and Panasonic.

Second and most importantly, the lens quality does not match the crystal clarity of the 750. This may have been only 4 megapixel, but the quality was superb, and similar shots taken on the 500 look soft in comparison. To be fair it's not jut the 500. I tried a Canon Powershot S3 and that was no better. In the drive to outdo eachother with ever increasing megapixels, are manufacturers sacrificing good old basic lens quality?

Simon RO's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow