Started Dec 20, 2006 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
YunusEmre
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
Canon PowerShot A630 review
Dec 20, 2006

I got the camera 3 days ago, so this will not be detailed. But putting down my 30D and picking this up and trying a few shots was not a good idea. I should have been playing with my 5 year old P&S instead of the 30D right before this camera. But still while I was getting the hang of it , A630 took some dreadful pictures in the 'auto' mode. Later I was able to take some amazing shots in Tv mode with and without flash (ISO 80). I was impressed with the detail and sharpness after viewing my shots in Tv mode. I think this camera would be excellent for macro photography, which I might try now that I have the A630. I also tried movie mode, which I never cared for. It produced some decent results in the modes I tried.

Problems:

The "AUTO" mode is useless unless you are in daylight (even then I am not sure, see my comments about ISO below). I am disappointed because I was going to give this camera to my wife from time to time so she could take pictures in Auto mode. The problem is that it uses unnecessarily high ISO in AUTO mode and the picture is very noisy. And what's worst I have no way of gaging how it performed because the camera does not store the ISO it used in AUTO mode! The EXIF info simply says AUTO for ISO (WTF?) This is totally messed up, why can't it say the actual ISO used? I gave image Q 4 (good) only because the camera in manual mode is capable of it, but the software comes on it is not able to make use of it, furthermore it cannot even remember what ISO it used. I'd be very happy to hear from others who have an opinion on this issue. For example are there other Canon P&S that has the same behavior?

If you really care about the image quality try to avoid AUTO mode and use ISO 80 as much as possible. If I can help it all my shots with this camera will in ISO 80. When I have experimented with this camera some more I will try to update this and give some info on ISO 100 image Q (I very much doubt I will ever use above ISO 100 on this camera).

YunusEmre's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow