Started Dec 31, 2006 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AustrianExPat
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Olympus Stylus 720 SW (mju 720 SW Digital) review
Dec 31, 2006

Some of the comments here surprise me. The 720 does indeed not produce stellar indoor pictures, but I did not buy this waterproof/shockproof camera to use at home. The camera does very well in rough and wet environments. I've had it in a swimming pool, a lake and have also taken it kayaking on the ocean where it got dunked in saltwater oftens, and it lets me gets shots that I would not otherwise have been able to get. I even managed to drop the camera from above six feet onto rocks, and it didn't even blink. As the old jingle went, " It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin".
I must be one of the few who love the menu structure - it is genius that it resets after being turned off, to prevent the preoccupied user from taking shots in whatever mode they had it in last, forever. I've also not had the water problem on the lens. After saltwater use, I rinse it in fresh water, then use ordinary tissue paper to soak up the water on the lens. I leave the lens barrier open to speed up drying.
I'd buy it again, because it does just what it was designed to do. Sure, you can add waterproof case to other compacts, but that makes them anything but.

Problems:

No problems - just a couple "bewares":
Batteries don't last long. I bought a couple Power 2000 replacements for less than 50% of the Oly version and they actually outlasted the Oly original batteries.
Don't buy this camera for indoor pictures. The flash is so close to the lens that you are guaranteed to get dust particle reflections. And image quality is niggling indoors.
Use in P mode and set the ISO no higher than 200.
Camera is tiny - learn to keep elbows against body for stable shots or body movement - not image quality issues - will mess up your shot.

AustrianExPat's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow