Started Jan 1, 2007 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tim_in_Georgia
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Nikon Coolpix S7c review
Jan 1, 2007

I love this camera! I read the four reviews posted here at the time before I bought the S7c. Despite one reviewer's suggestion that propsective buyers avoid spending their hard-earned money on such "junk," the S7c seemed to be a good value (for what I payed for it), and the wireless feature really appealed to me. The camera travels with me everywhere, and the ability to download wirelessly to my notebook was an important influence in my buying decision. I am extremely happy that it was. The S7c not only has exceeded my personal expectations, but the particular camera I own is apparently way better than others. Its focus is quiet and quick. Its images are way beyond what I expected. I recently found myself in front of an amazing sunrise scenic opportunity with only the S7c to use. I did, and the results have blown me away. Enlargements at 18 x 24 inches appear to have come from medium-format film cameras. If you are contemplating the purchase of this - or any other point-and-shoot digital of similar size, I'll offer the following suggestions:

1 - You will have to re-learn how to hold a camera this slim. I cradle it in my left hand, and it felt very awkward at first. Repetition mitigated that feeling, and the result is quite a steady hold.

2 - If anything seems amiss with your camera, return it for another. Period. In other reviews of this camera, you will find serious objections to noisy focusing and poor image quality. I repeat ... my S7c does not suffer any of that.

Problems:

As alluded to above, the biggest problem I encountered was learning the best way to hold the S7c. Even with the CoolPix 4300 it replaced, I always found myself holding it much like my SLRs ... with my left hand under the bit of lens that protrudes from the case. Can't do that with the S7c. I have learned to cradle it differently ... with my left thumb along its left side, and the lower right corner of the camera resting between my left index and middle fingers. I do the same thing with vertical shots, turning the camera so the shutter release is near the bottom. It's important to me to explain all of this because, based on my personal experience with the S7c I own, this model has gotten a bad rap from other reviewers here ... one that my personal experiences suggest is not-at-all deserved.

Tim_in_Georgia's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow