Started Feb 8, 2007 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mipmip
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Casio Exilim EX-S3 review
Feb 8, 2007

I bought this camera years ago, and it's still with me and going strong. Very handy for quick photos, and the quality is still miles above mobile phone cameras with similar amounts of pixels.
I recently bought me a decent SD card and rediscovered the option of included mp3 player. I use it when travelling somewhere, I don't have to bring a camera and an mp3 player. Other good thing is that from a quality point of view in the first place it's a camera, and the mp3 players is only an addition. The included speaker is nice for movies (strangely not available on many modern cameras), but doesn't work with the mp3 player.
Small but sharp display. I had one dead pixel but it's not bothering me.

It's very small, sleek, and solid as a rock (metal!). At the time, I chose this one not because of the many options, but because it was the only one for a reasonable price that didn't feel like a big plastic toy. Most of the latest exilims still are as sleek, but the buttons and overall feel seem a bit weaker than at this model.

Problems:

No zoom, but who cares Also no shutter options, or any options you would care of. Picture quality is on the edge of what can still be printed at a normal photo size (it can end up grainy when printed).

Battery empties itself quickly when left alone. This is mentioned in the manual.

Movies have a 30s maximum duration.

About 6 hour battery life when playing mp3s. Mp3 decoder has troubles with some mp3 files that play well on a pc. This is probably due to the kind of chip used, similar problems are found in cheap mp3 players.

Colors can be off, this gets unbearable when taking pictures in the dark.

You need the cradle for PC connection and charging. I didn't manage to find a USB cable to fit in the small connector on the camera. As a solution I bought a SD/USB Ultra card from Sandisk.

mipmip's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow