Started Mar 31, 2007 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pbash
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX50 review
Mar 31, 2007

As other reviews have noted, there's a fair amount of noise in dark areas of images even at ISO 100 but you've got to blow them up a lot for it to be really noticeable. If you look at this as a snapshot camera and don't expect to create immaculate 11"x14" prints I doubt the average buyer will be disappointed with the image quality. As should be expected from a lens this compact with this zoom range, it is soft at the extremes of the range (very soft at full telephoto while full wide-angle is soft mostly at the edges). Image sharpness can be improved noticeably by working in the middle zoom ranges.

Physical design and build quality is excellent. Firmware is very easy to use. Considering these go for $250 or so if you look around it feels like a much more expensive camera. All the way around, it's a fine point-and-shoot camera. If I want pro quality photos, I'll grab my Canon 5D.

Problems:

The 3" screen makes it larger than it really needs to be. The FX07, the same camera with a 2.5" screen, is a better choice if you want maximum compactness.

The lens is soft at the extremes of the zoom range.

pbash's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow