Started Apr 10, 2007 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Flanker27
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Fujifilm FinePix S5100 Zoom / Fujifilm FinePix S5500 review
Apr 10, 2007

I bought this camera about 2 years ago when it first came out. I payed almost $600 CAN for this camera and 6 months later it dropped to $300, and a year later 5200 came out with the price tag of $300.
In other words, I've payed quite a bit for this camera.
But I must say I have been very happy with this camera.
(I'm sure that i took more than 3000 shots with this camera :D)

10X optical zoom gives the user the versitility they would need for almost all situations.
Image quality and AWB was satisfactory or great.
One of the best thing about this camera is that this camera is extremely easy to use.
Even though the RAW mode is buried inside the menu, all other essential functions can be accessed quickly and easily.
Noise level is low, ISO 400 is usable.
There is nothing particulary good about this camera but it is great all around.
oh.and the Construction is good too

In regards to the battery life, it is amazing.
On my trip to Quebec, with 4 AA Ni-MH 2300 mAH batteries, I was able to take more than 400 shots before needing to recharge them. (no flashes used)

Problems:

There are a few shortcomings of this camera.

1) Manual focus is almost unusable. I've tried to use it a few times but eventually gave up.
(The the auto focus did a good job so i really didn't complain that much)

2)No Image stabliztion, 10X optical zoom yet no Image stablization. When i first bought this S5100, which is my first camera, i had hard time holding the camera stedy at long ends of the zoom. However, after i bought a tripod and also learned more about how to hold the camera better got rid of the problem. Yet, it would still be good to have some in-camera image stablization.

3)No Hot-shoe, = no external flash

4)Uses xD cards, quite hard to find compared to others.

5) Takes about 2~3 sec to turn on..i've missed few opportunities for a good shot because of that....

Flanker27's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow