Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX30 review
I bought this camera about six weeks ago, and have since carried it with me every
day - initially for a four week overseas trip, since then at home.
I've found it to be everything I wanted from it. Here are the highlights:
- 28mm (equiv.) wide angle is great - makes it much more usable than normal 35ish.
- Macro/close focus is incredible. You can capture something life-size.
- OIS is also incredible. It's the first camera I've owned with this feature, and now I'd
never be without it. It makes many available-light and long zoom shots possible.
- Great features like auto-bracketing, on-screen grid and histogram
- Flexible focusing (multi area, spot)
- Genuine jeans pocket size. Rounded, comfortable, snag-free shape.
- Very quick startup, focus and shooting.
- Easy, one-button access to flash modes, exposure adjustment, display mode.
- Excellent battery life
- Well built, durable. It's been shoved into my jeans pocket with wallet, keys, coins
for over a month. Apart from superficial scuffs, it's unmarked.
While it doesn't have manual controls, it's so easy to pre-focus in spot mode (which I
leave it in all the time) and auto-bracket (or manually) that I never feel 'out of control'.
In its "simple" mode, you can just hand it to anyone and say 'push this button'.
In short, this is everything I hoped for in a point-and-shoot, and quite a bit more. I
wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
Not so much problems, as limitations to note.
- No RAW file option (well, I guess that's why they have more expensive models!)
- Manual white balance setting is a little clunkier than I'd like (I'd prefer to have this
quickly available, but it's three clicks into menus).
- Significant curvature at the edge of frames at the wide end of the lens. Pretty much
expected with a lens this small and easily corrected in Photoshop. Just don't think you
can use it as a pocket-size architectural camera. This becomes unnoticeable as you
|Kinderdijk by PEB|
from Best Landscape With at Least One Wind Mill.
|Lights of Manhattan by cand1d|
from Your City - Night Skyline
|Mornin Dew by Abbasi46|
from Macro world
|Crash and Boom by qhenson|
from My Best Photo of the Week