Started Jun 12, 2007 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kjao
Senior MemberPosts: 1,219
Like?
Canon PowerShot A630 review
Jun 12, 2007

First I am a keen amateur photographer who has been using DSLR for two years and is looking for a P&S to leave in my bag to take everywhere. Low-light performance doesn't worry me since I will use my DSLR for it if needed.

Pros
- The image quality is excellent up to ISO200, and quite OK at ISO400 but I probably won't be using anything higher than that.
- swivel LCD is very handy and one of the reason I chose it over Panasonic models in this price range
- very easy to use. I found myself using the 90% of the camera functionality without reading the manual.
- very responsive, very little shutter lag or shot-to-shot delay
- flash performance is better than expected
- good video quality

Cons
- the build quality isn't as good as Panasonic's models in this price range, especially the LCD is quite plasticky. It feels like I will break it if I am not careful. And the door to all the connections/terminals is very flimsy too.
- no separate SD card slot which shares the same compartment as the batteries
- low-res LCD. The LCD is good for composition and that's about it. You can't check for details because of the low-res.

So, apart from the plasticky build issues and low-res LCD, this is any excellent camera. I would recommend it to anyone who is on a budget and looking for a good performance P&S. I only gave '4' for "Value for money" because shops are still selling them for about AU$400 in Australia. I would have given it a '5' if I could get the US price here in Australia.

Problems:

See above

kjao's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow