Started Jun 25, 2007 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
afterglo
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Samsung S730 review
Jun 25, 2007

All of my rating points should be taken "for the price" and not as absolutes. Let me say right away that my experience is with the S630, which is basically the same camera, but what I was reading here was so contrary to my own experience that I had to say something.

About battery life, first off if you don't have at least a half dozen rechargeables, you're not much of a photographer to start with. Secondly, I discovered that this camera is good for 2-3 hours of intermittent shooting if you just leave it on. Normally, I tell people that if they want to preserve battery life, use the viewfinder not the LCD, but this camera has no viewfinder. It's my first camera of this sort, and the first time I want around using it, I thought the battery life was horrible, but then I sat down and thought it through: LCD's use a certain amount of energy for sure, but motors use even more, and by switching this camera on and off frequently, you are using the zoom motor frequently. I decided to try using the motor less and, wow, what a difference it made.

I can't understand someone having the long litany of problems and returns one user had because I've already gotten quite a bit of use out of mine.

I wanted a camera I could pop into my backpack or drop into my pocket and not lose too much sleep if something happened to it and this little camera (be it the S630 or S730) is doing that for me just fine.

Oh, and the images are not bad at all. Not as good as my Nikon D100 with its high-end lens, but surprisingly good for a $100 camera. I've already printed out some 8x10's and they are quite good enough to frame.

Problems:

The main problems have to do with the many, many features and capabilities of this camera. Of course, you can put it in Program or Auto and use it as a point and shoot, but this camera has many features not even hinted at in the slim manual that comes in the box.

It's a mystery and voyage of discovery to access all these other features without the full manual, so be sure to print it out and read it.

afterglo's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow