Started Jul 19, 2007 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
william olive
Contributing MemberPosts: 708
Like?
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W7 review
Jul 19, 2007

read the full review on this camera, it is spot on. I've fired 6,000 or more photos through mine, and printed hundreds of prints, here's my two bob's worth-

the good;
uses AA batteries, and has good battery life

has an optical viewfinder

has a useful burst mode

no sports mode, but combine the two above and you can actually get the odd reasonable action shot, which is usually a lottery with small digicams.

manual mode is very useful, despite only two f stops (you won't get reduced depth of field in any small digicam)

In manual mode, the LCD acts like a 'stop down' in an SLR and shows the results as you go - excellent

good size, makes for a good travel companion. I'm sick of lugging around BIG cameras.

Zeiss lens - it's a beaut

Takes a good photo - within the limitations faced by any small ccd digicam. You'll get good prints up to 8" by 10" and they look good on a computer monitor at normal resolution. Sharp, good colour rendition, but expect highlight clipping, it's a fact of life.

the bad;
OK, the optical viewfinder doesn't have a diopter adjustment, and it's inaccurate - but at least it has one.

The autofocus isn't always fast, and it can be fooled. I get a significant number of out of focus shots, or failure to get the shot because the camera won't focus. - Luckily the landscape scene mode fixs focus at infinity, which is very useful. Also, it's easy to "shoot the shit" out of any scene with a digicam, just use big cards and take plenty of shots.

the battery compartment cover. You WILL lose a battery sometime. Lucky they're AAs.

No program for shutter/apeture priority modes

Sony's NiMH batteries go flat in the camera in a matter of days, and have poor life taking shots (NiMH Duracells work well for me)

Problems:

The ugly:
Mine's had the lens freeze and the LCD display "turn off and on again". Yep, but the only cure was brute force and ignorance to push the lens back in. That didn't feel right, but it still works. It has done this, at random, about three times. Out of warranty, of course.

Udate - the camera finally failed, and needs a new lens assembly to fix. Cost AUD$270.00 but I like the unit and it would be hard to replace (modern P&S do not have OV) so I will spend the money.

william olive's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow