Started Jul 22, 2007 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
panini98
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX7 review
Jul 22, 2007

I've had my FX7 for exactly 2 years now. I'm very happy with it. The photo quality in decent light is excellent for a camera of this size. Especially indoors in decent light it's tops. The word I would use to decribe the photo quality is 'natural'. The colors are less saturated than other cameras, but more natural. I've done head to head comparisons with friends cameras (Canons, Sony, Olympus, Fuji), and I've always preferred the FX7's images to the other makes, and even the latest generation Panasonics.

The main image quality issue is noise at ISO 200 and 400, especially 400. Interestingly though, it's not as bad as some of the latest Panasonics.

This camera uses the Venus Engine 2 and to my eyes it produces more natural looking images than the Venus Engine 3 in the latest Panasonics. For this reason I'm holding on to my FX7, and have gotten a Fuji F20 which I use only for low light.

Incidentally, the FX7 images improve beautifully using Microsoft Digital Image, but not as much with Photoshop.

Problems:

The camera uses up batteries. I have 5 (the original and 4 generics). For me, it's fine. I'd rather carry a few extra batteries with me, and have great image quality, than poor image quality and great battery life.

panini98's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow