Started Aug 28, 2007 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
duncanh
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Nikon Coolpix P1 review
Aug 28, 2007

I have been dissapointed with this camera aver since I started using it about one year ago. This is my first digital camera: I previously used 35mm SLR's and a Ricoh GR1 compact. Coming from this to the Nikon digital (it was a gift - I didn't choose it) has been fairly horrible.

The construction is poor - a very light plastic case, a lens which has considerable movement from side to side when extended, the selector dial which turns if you so much as brush a finger against it.

Features are all there (if that's what you like), but be prepared to trawl through menus and buttons to use them.

Not having a viewfinder is a real disadvantage, especially for spontaneous snaps or low light conditions.

As mentioned in other reviews, the shutter lag on this camera can be extremely frustrating when trying to photograph anything which is moving. I have missed many photos because the time between pressing the button and actually taking the photo was so long.

The image quality is acceptable, but not outstanding. I have compared holiday photos with friends who were using other digital P&S cameras (Canon, Sony) and the other cameras seemed to perform better over a range of light conditions. Colours fromt he Nikon are washed out, and images often seem overexposed. Setting the exposure compensation to -0.3 helps a little with this, although colours still don't seem great. One other thing which seems strange is that in automatic mode, the camera often decides to use flash, even when the light conditions are apparently fine. Perhaps this is simply because the lenss is not very fast, but it can be frustrating.

Overall, another plasticy compact: all gimmick, and very dissapointing from a company that once made great cameras.

Problems:

No specific technical problems, only dissapointing performance.

duncanh's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow