Started Aug 31, 2007 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Wowarning
Contributing MemberPosts: 512
Like?
Pentax Optio T20 review
Aug 31, 2007

What a HUGE disappointment. My company recently supplied me with this camera to use on a daily basis for my job. I'm a rabid fan of my Pentax istDS, and have been using Pentax point and shoots for my job for the past five years. Unfortunately, this is the worst to come along. It's a great looking little camera with a big beautiful touch screen, so what's the problem?

1) The screen freezes during focus lock. I can't begin to explain how annoying this is. You need to recompose every shot after focus lock, because either yourself or your subject is going to shift a little bit. Trying to time an expression or anything else means you're also starting from scratch.

2) focus is slooooooow. Aside from that being annoying all on its own, it makes problem #1 even worse.

3) flash recycle/charge time is unbelievably slow. I am constantly waiting around for the flash to charge. The way this works out logistically is that I'll half press to focus, and after I get a focus lock I'll be shown a red flash symbol until it finishes charging, at which point I press the shutter the rest of the way to take the picture. Unfortunately, half the time it won't take the picture unless I re-focus which is made all the more annoying becuase of problems #1 and 2.

4) macro mode. Wow. I'm almost impressed by how awful this camera is in macro. First off you can't zoom at all in macro mode. The focal length is locked at the widest setting. Couple that with the fact that you can't get within 6 inches of your subject and there's absolutely nothing close-up about your close-up shots.

All of these things combine to make this camera a HUGE chore to use on a regular basis, which is a shame, because if you can get the thing to focus on what you want, you are gonna wind up with a nice picture. The image quality is actually very good. That said, if I had any choice in the matter, I'd return this camera in a second. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with this until we replace it with the next "latest and greatest". Ironically, I'd gladly trade this for the Optio 33L we were using four years ago.

Hope that this helps somebody avoid making a bad choice.

Wowarning's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow