Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ2 review

Started Sep 4, 2007 | User reviews thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Digi Tal New Member • Posts: 8
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ2 review

I was looking for a quality, compact zoom camera to augment my 2 Canon digitals. I was not even considering a Panasonic, much less a Lumix TZ2. I liked the lens on the TZ2 but I wasn't sure that Panasonic, with limited years of experience in digital, had the depth to produce a decent camera. The sales person at Henry's was very helpful in advsing me to have a look at this camera. It turns out I was wrong.
The camera is solidly built and it feels and handles like a high quality digital should. It has no viewfinder and no manual modes but it has a very clear LCD screen which is anti-glare and it has lots of SCN modes, enough for me anyway. The quality of the pictures is outstanding even at Auto mode. I have taken at least 300 pictures so far in every possible lighting situation.
It has all the bells and whistles that a novice like me needs in a quality zoom digital and then some.
But best of all, I got a really high quality, robust camera with a Leica Vario-Elmar lens with O.I.S. AND 10x Optical zoom and 28mm Wide for $319 at Henry's. You just cannot beat that quality and price.
I considered it's successor, the TZ3 but at $499 all it offered more was a 3 inch screen and 7MP vs 2.5 inch screen and 6MP for the TZ2. For me it was not worth the extra money.
I can honestly say that this camera performs/feels much better than my Canon SD 630.

Problems:

There is no viewfinder or Manual mode on this camera. Its not an issue for me but bear that in mind when you buy.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ2
6 megapixels • 2.5 screen • 28 – 280 mm (10×)
Announced: Jan 31, 2007
Digi Tal's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow