Started Oct 9, 2007 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
morrisjt
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Pentax K100D review
Oct 9, 2007

Got the K100D+kit lens for under $400 AR. Wanted a "disposable" SLR to take where I don't want to take my Canon 30D plus expensive lenses. Also wanted something I can leave in the car without getting anxious.

The camera and lens hasn't disappointed! Sure, it would be nice if the kit lens was longer, but it's very sharp and well-built.

The biggest surprise, however, was the SR (shake reduction) feature. I was getting most of my shots at 1/8 or 1/10 sec. in focus. That seems implausible but I've been a photographer a long time and have learned tricks like proper bracing with both arms against my chest, holding my breath momentarily, etc. so my low speed shots are usually usable already. SR, however, takes my lowlight shots to the next level.

Pentax, of course, doesn't have a monopoly on SR (AKA IS, OS) but making that feature available in an SLR at this price level is certainly new.

BTW, another reason I went with the K100D besides the price is the larger viewfinder compared to Nikon and Canon low-end SLRs.

Problems:

Viewfinder eyecup could be better -- I sometimes get some reflections outdoors.

morrisjt's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow