ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David from Canada
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Canon PowerShot A630 review
Nov 11, 2007

WARNING (sound in videos)

I purchased the A630 to replace my Canon G3. The A630 had many advantages over the G3 including price, image size, speed, weight, and video image size/duration.

The price was right at $300 with taxes in August 2007. We were quite happy with the camera and the pictures and liked all the features of the A630 until we started playing back the videos we took.

The videos were great, if we were deaf, but unfortunately there was a distinct high-pitched buzz in all but the loudest movies. So thinking that this camera might be a lemon, we contacted Canon. Their response: "The noise you are hearing in the background is considered normal. Due to the gain of the built in microphone the sound produced by the camera components will be heard on the recorded video. The sound heard will be like a slight pitch or humming sound."

What?! Normal!? Although I was very impressed with the quality and timeliness of Canon's response, I am very disappointed in Canon's acknowledgment of this problem with their A630 cameras. The fact that Canon merely passes it off as "an acceptable level" is very disturbing since it is VERY noticeable in all our videos.

End result: we returned the camera and are again considering our options to replace our beloved G3.

Recommendations: If you are not planning on taking videos, then this is a good camera. However you might consider a cheaper alternative, like a camera without the video option since the sound quality is poor in the A630 videos.

Problems:

As explained in the review, we found the high-pitch buzz noises from the videos taken unacceptable. The problem was evident in videos viewed on the camera, or after dloaded to a computer.

David from Canada's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow