Started Nov 14, 2007 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wolfie
Senior MemberPosts: 2,623
Like?
Canon PowerShot A420 review
Nov 14, 2007

This my second 'A-400' series powershot - and I am think they are simply the best value for money cameras. The build & lens & features quality is the same as other cameras costing twice the price. It has an optical viewfinder which is still a necessity in bright daylight or if shooting at slow shutter speeds without flash. At ISO 64, 100 the detail is very good - noise is well controlled in shadows and human hair is only slightly smeary if you pixel peep at it. ISO 200 is noisy but just acceptable, 400 is really only for desparate situations - very noisy & smeary.
Only quibble is using the up/down navigation arrows for the zoom control, but far from a major problem. The narrow shape may not be the easiest for bigger hands to hold, but that is personal issue. Macro shots I find to focus accurately and flash works well as the camera has focus assist light. Uses AA batteries and SD cards for low cost operating.
For the price,this camera easily beats the rest in terms of performance and features and build quality.

Problems:

I've destroyed two through water damage as I take them fishing - have no hesitation getting a third (but I'll put it in a camera cover!).

wolfie's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow