Started Dec 13, 2007 | User reviews thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Yves Loriaux
New MemberPosts: 6
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 review
Dec 13, 2007

My second Sony camera, bought in Jan 2005.
It looks a bit cheap, with lots of plastic, and it was actually cheap, but I took more than 10,000 snaps with it, traveled everywhere in various difficult conditions and it still works fine, just like the DSC-P72 I had bought in 2003.
Beware: after 9999 shots, the picture's number is reset to 1, despite the presence of a … useless … extra digit.

The camera is light and fits easily into jeans’ pocket thanks to its shape, but doesn't offer a very good grip compared to the DSC-P72.
The only other criticism I can have is that, at ISO 400, the pictures become quite noisy, despite obvious NR artifacts (the sensor being rather small, especially compared to the - more expensive - DSC-P93).
Also, it is only a 38-39 mm equivalent camera ... 35 mm would have been a plus.

For the rest, it produces good quality pictures and offers a wide range of options that can be easily accessed, including a fully manual mode and a real spot measuring mode.
I particularly appreciate this versatility that will satisfy novice and non-novice users.
The flash works fine, though I sometimes got badly focused pics, with a particularly effective red eyes reduction system and a reasonable flash recycle time.
The autonomy is excellent with the 2 rechargeable AA batteries and a good AA + AAA charger is included.

After 3 years of intensive use, it's still my preferred cam in many circumstances since even 2007's low-end cams don't offer any real added value compared to it, besides a few extra megapixels, and generally lack important features such as an optical viewfinder and the use of "standard" batteries.

I'll encounter problems the day it breaks.

Yves Loriaux's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow