Started Jan 7, 2008 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
moxfyre
Regular MemberPosts: 229
Like?
Olympus C-740 UZ review
Jan 7, 2008

(I have had this camera for 4.5 years, and just upgraded to a Pentax K10D digital SLR.)

The Olympus C-740 UZ was a great first digital camera (thanks, Grandma :-). But it's hampered by the fact that it has one GREAT feature (a 10X zoom) without much else to back it up.

The zoom is great, but the autofocus is way too slow to use it for action or wildlife shots at a distance. The shutter lag is pretty bad even with focus locked in. The flash is weak, but the white balance invariably comes out wrong without it. The various shooting modes are useful, and the manual mode is very good for a non-SLR camera. The movie mode only takes really short clips, and no sound (!!!) so it's pretty much useless.

Well, this camera is pretty much off the market by now... but I wouldn't recommend buying it used even. You can get a lighter, faster, modern camera with a 7-10X zoom these days.

Problems:

* The LCD screen cracked. Unlike with most newer/larger cameras, there was no protective hard plastic cover over it. Fortunately, the electronic viewfinder screen is an *exact* duplicate of the main LCD, so this hasn't affected my ability to use the camera.

* Olympus has stuck with stupid xD cards, while everyone else now uses SD. xD cards are way more expensive, harder to find, and slower. Really annoying.

* If you forget and leave the camera on, it drains the batteries even though it claims to have auto shutoff.

moxfyre's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow