Started Jan 9, 2008 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PatLong
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Olympus SP-560 UZ review
Jan 9, 2008

I have just purchased an SP560 before Christmas. It has a lovely professional feel to it but unfortunately I find the image quality is not quite as good as my 3 year old Olympus C765 which had 4MP and 10x zoom range. I was extremely pleased with this older camera as it gave me very good vibrant sharp images across the range once the conditions were bright. The drop in image quality is not huge between the two cameras but with an image stabilizer and double the megapixels I had been confident that the new one would be at least as good and have a bigger range. When I queried with Olympus Support why the quality was not as good I received the following reply:
“the quality of the lens in the older camera may be better, it is not possible to make a 18 x optical zoom lens built in to a compact camera and still retain the same quality as with a 10 x optical zoom lens. With a greater zoom range you will not have as good picture quality as with a smaller zoom range with compact cameras.”
This might be a word of warning to anyone thinking of changing their 10x for an 18x. In fairness to Olympus I would assume that the couple of rival 18x cameras are no better and I appreciate their Technical Support being so honest, not like their Marketing Dept.

PatLong's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow