Started Mar 7, 2008 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
A Modest Mouse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,235
Like?
Pentax K100D Super review
Mar 7, 2008

I've owned this entry level DSLR for approximately 5 months - so far I'm fairly impressed, particularly with what you get for the money. The build is solid and the camera fairly weighty despite its dimensions, the CCD-shift shake reduction in the body is nice as is the dust removal. Some users may yearn for more control on the outside of the body in the form of a second wheel if they shoot in full manual or a programmable button for something like white balance - for the purposes of my shooting this isn't a problem. I purchased the camera for it's compact size and good lowlight performance - the image quality is about as good as 6mp gets; I frequently shoot at ISO 3200 and am not offended by the results, though admittedly I do post process considerably.

If you have Pentax glass and need a small inexpensive body, this is really your choice until the K200D drops in price (it is just arriving for sale as I write this review). The K10D, the K100D's bigger brother, should also be dropping in price shortly and both cameras will likely have production ceased in the very near future. Great values why they last.

Problems:

In exchange for the in-body Shake Reduction, one has to accept that Pentax's autofocus tends to be a little more sluggish than competing brands. In the long run you also save considerable money with Pentax at the expense of a limited range of lenses... all about tradeoffs.

A Modest Mouse's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow