Started Mar 18, 2008 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rupert Brun
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom review
Mar 18, 2008

I bought mine second hand on EBAY in October 2006 and have been extremely pleased with it. The lens is superb and the image quality is good for a camera of this type. The low light performance is good for a camera of this vintage but focussing can be painfully slow in poor light, the camera also has a tendency to focus on the background when trying to shoot a portrait or group shot, unless there's a face in the middle of the screen. The camera is generally easy to use but the zoom control is a bit "all or nothing" making precise adjustments difficult. I also own the wide-angle and telephoto adaptors, which are good but you can't use the zoom when you have either fitted - the wide angle adaptor can only be used with the zoom right out, and the telephoto adaptor with it zoomed right in. The menus are a bit fiddly to find your way through - lots of layers and no cleaer logic to the layout, some of the icons are a bit obscure.

Over all though I'm extremely pleased iwth the build quality and picture quality. It is very telling that although I keep looking for a new camera to replace it, I haven't been able to find one (apart from the expensive and large E3) that ticks all the boxes, which for me include a fold-out screen and live view so I can use it at waist level like the medium format fillm cameras I used to use.

Problems:

When used with FL36 Olympus flash, the flash didn't zoom out properly with the camera, until I upgraded to firmware 757-78 which for some reason is not avaiiable from the Olympus web site. In February 2008 the LCD screen started to become intermittent and Olympus quoted just over £100 to repair - I think it says a lot for this camera that I decided to go ahead and get it fixed - it's worth it.

Rupert Brun's gear list:Rupert Brun's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +10 more
Rupert Brun's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow