ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jpcelestian
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Fujifilm FinePix F50fd review
Mar 28, 2008

F50se: Very poor image quality over ISO 400

(Note: my camera was from Best Buy and labeled with Model F50se, not fd)

Warning... I'm really disappointed that I bought this camera so here it is...

Good things about this camera: large bright LCD, focus usually fast, good ergonomics, good image review and navigation, good image editing features. good movie clip quality.

I was very enticed by the 6400 ISO and I was pressed for time I just grabbed this camera before my overseas trip and now its over 30 days or I would have returned it.

The bad.

Number one problem: Image quality over 400 ISO is terrible. Over 400 ISO you see blotchy colors in your image. The review mentions its not very good but its really very bad. Considering a major draw of the camera is the advertised 6400 ISO (...for me, not its 12MP) this is especially shameful.

The manual control does not work like I would have expected it to. Manual mode only allows you to change more settings than Auto mode but otherwise not much difference. All exposure is still full auto in this mode.

A/S mode requires you choose between aperture or shutter priority, then, say if you choose aperture priority and dial in F4.0, you must use the exposure compensation +/- to then affect the shutter speed. You can get the job done but its not intuitive.

The exposure in low light seems to be way off. For example, if you take photos at twilight, they all seem to be underexposed by at least 1 stop.

Because the camera has an on/off setting labeled "long exposure," I thought this meant the same thing it does on a Canon which will do some amazing post-processing of long exposure images to let you shoot night images that look like daytime. Not the case on this camera. It seems to just be a safety feature to prevent the exposure from going more than one second.

Another confusing thing: You don't have the same ISO range to chose from in each shooting mode. For example, in A (auto) mode, you have (AUTO)400, 800, 1600 but in A/S (aperture or shutter priority) you have 100 to 6400, then in M (so-called manual mode but you can't adjust shutter/aperture) you have 100 to 6400 and AUTO(400), 800, 1600. It feels like you have to relearn the camera in each shooting mode....

Bottom line: This camera should have received a "not recommended" or "pass it along to your kids" rating. I recommend the Canon ELF 1000.

Problems:

Poor image quality over 400ISO.
No true manual control.
Under-exposure in low-light.

jpcelestian's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow