Started Apr 20, 2008 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Arash NL
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS3 review
Apr 20, 2008

I bought the FS3 as a pocket camera to carry it everywhere. Unfortunately, after 2 weeks of testing, I realized that its problems overcome its huge host of features.
The most important problem is the "granular" texture of pictures, which is possibly caused by the noise reduction algorithm, and is annoying as I haven't seen such an effect in other cameras. Selecting low ISOs and lowest level of .jpg compression doesn't help.

Other Problems:
- Sliding switch instead of a push button for switching between capture and playback modes. So, when you are n PB mode, you can't start capturing by simply pressing the shutter release button. And the switch doesn't seem to be built to last long.
-Zoom doesn't work in movie mode. (The are other cameras in the same range that have this feature. Olympus FE-340 is one example.
-No dial-type mode selector. You have to go to a "modes" menu instead, which is not very convenient.
-Full auto mode selects unnecessarily high ISOs, leading to poor image quality.

Interesting Features:
-Automatic rotation of pictures taken with camrea held at plus/minus 90 degrees.
-Automatic adjustment of LCD brightness according to light conditions/high angle display mode.
-Increased "optical" zoom in lower resolutions. If you select 3MP, you'll get 4x "optical".
-Can detect many faces (even on TV!) in face detection mode.
Conclusion: If you are obsessed with image quality, this is not your camera. If you are more interested in a "feature packed" camera with features that you can't find in any one other camera in this range, go for it.

Arash NL's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow