ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JohnEwing
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 review
Apr 27, 2008

Really makes you appreciate Nikon!

Nah, that's not really fair: I knew exactly what I was buying when I forked out for this: a camera that's mediocre indoors, has an underpowered flash, small CCD, and an atrocious noise-handling algorithm (that Pana persist in boasting about, they either have eye problems or their expectant Mamas looked at too many Manets).

So why did I buy it? Well, I do a lot of cycling and I often see birds I would love to photograph; I can't carry my DSLR and the zoom on my Nik P5000 is too puny to get them into the frame before they've taken fright. Futhermore, the wee Nik is lousy for action shots: slow (or no) focus; the TZ3 is lightning fast and its daylight performance out of doors is perfectly adequate.

OK, with it's lack of manual controls it's very much a duffer's camera, but the control set it does have is excellent and swift to use, which again for cycling is ideal. I particularly like the FN button and having 2 scene modes.

And every cyclist who's just topped out a stiff col is a photographic duffer.

Finally, Pana have just brought out the TZ5, and since there is apparently not much to choose between them, the consequent drop in price (~100 Euro to date) makes this excellent value for money, which at its original price it very definitely wasn't.

Problems:

Nothing I didn't expect. You can't make silk purses out of sow's ears, and tiny CCDs are very definitely sow's ears.

JohnEwing's gear list:JohnEwing's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony RX100 Nikon D200 +16 more
JohnEwing's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow