Started May 14, 2008 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Valentino 67
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Leica D-LUX 3 review
May 14, 2008

D-Lux 3 is quite a disappointment. I was expecting much more from Leica. Previously I used for 5 years a small compact from Sony, DSC-P100. Even with the difference in technology, 5 MP and a tiny LCD screen, the Sony delivered constantly good image quality. I cannot say the same about Leica after 6 months of using it.

1. Construction – rating 4

Good: Solid construction, metal body, good looking, wide LCD screen, aspect ratio can be changed easily from the lens barrel, same for the macro and manual focus.

Bad: The ergonomics (nice doesn’t means good!); the LCD screen is difficult to see – especially under bright sunlight, no viewfinder, the shutter button is a little too hard to press for me (resulting in camera shake), the lens cap.

2. Features – rating 4

Good: Everything you want or you don’t want, you will find in this camera: RAW format, 19:6 aspect ratio, AF/AE lock, Manual focus, very fast operations.

Bad: Lot of features with lot of limitations. You have even ISO 1600, but you can use only ISO 100 to 200 for good image quality. Some of the limitations are recognized even in the camera’s manual!

3. Image Quality – rating 3

Good: ISO 100 in ideal light conditions (sunlight), very good movie and very good macro.

Bad: the image quality in general; lot of noise at higher ISO, highlight blowouts, lack of dynamic range, bad flash sync.

4. Ease of Use – rating 5

Everything is fast, helpful shortcut buttons, easy to scroll the menus and to change the settings.

5. Value for Money – rating 3

This because the camera doesn’t deliver what was supposed to do and I have to recognize, I lost the money buying this camera. Lesson learnt: always trust the reviews!

Recently I purchased the Sigma DP-1 and I am very happy with this one: the Image Quality is superb.

Both cameras were announced in September 2006, but the difference between them is huge. Kudos to Sigma for thinking “customer first”, not “profit first”.

Problems:

No technical problems.

Valentino 67's gear list:Valentino 67's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR +1 more
Valentino 67's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow