Started May 18, 2008 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tallett
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Samsung L100 review
May 18, 2008

Must admit this was something of an impulse buy brought on by necessity - got to Heathrow on my way off on holiday and realised I'd left my usual camera at home on charge...

So, marched into the tax-free Dixons in T4 and asked for their cheapest camera from a brand I'd actually heard of. After enduring a bit of sales chat, I settled on the Samsung - I particularly liked the large, bright and clear screen and at £85, face recognition and the fairly high megapixel count were the deciders.

The camera worked fine for the next month or so, taking many excellent pictures with a clarity and quality beyond what I was expecting. The camera is easy to operate, slim and light, very quick to turn on and off, and even takes decent video. As mentioned above, the screen is excellent.

Problems:

Unfortunately, the praise stops here. While clearly the camera was cheap, and I accept there was always going to be a certain element of "you get what you pay for", I certainly hedn't expected it to go wrong only 6 weeks into its life.

I took the Samsung to a party and when trying to review a photo I had taken earlier, the camera simply refused to turn on. The best way I can describe this is like a computer crashing - press the power button and lights come on (but not the usual operation lights), the screen stays blank and the camera is totally non-responsive. No amount of button-pressing can revive it, and the only way of getting the lights to go out is to remove the battery. Connecting it to a computer doesn't help either.

Sadly I'm now stuck with an expensive paper weight. My local Currys (who Dixons directed me to speak to) refuse to replace it since I'm 3 weeks outside the 28-day return window, plus they also refuse to replace it under warranty as they insist cameras never go wrong in the way mine has unless they've been dropped. It's their word against mine, regardless of the fact that the casing is clearly unblemished, so I'm left to try and get it repaired somehow.

Anyway, this is suppose to be a review rather than a rant at Currys, so in summary, a decent-sized and fairly well-specced compact camera, which will take rather good pictures provided you're not let down by the poor build quality first.

tallett's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow