Started Jul 7, 2008 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
andyBart
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W170 review
Jul 7, 2008

I use a DSLR, but wanted a compact camera for those times when I don't want to lug a great camera bag around. My requirements were wide-angle (28mm equiv), decent optical zoom (more than 4 x), with image stabilisation. I settled on a short list of Ricoh R8, Panasonic FX500 and this Sony. From the reviews, I decided image quality was going to be best on the Sony, and bought it. All was well in normal daylight, shots with great looking colour balance and sharpness. But when using in low light, or in normal indoor conditions with flash, although the pictures look fine on the LCD, the full size results are terrible. The flash is so weak (weaker than that on my mobile phone), and the noise reduction so evident, the resulting images are good for nothing but discarding. What a shame. Had to return it. Now I don't know which compact camera to buy that has the above spec and also has great image quality in usable conditions.

Problems:

Flash power minimal
Images in low light seem to have huge levels of noise reduction applied, leading to pictures appearing smeared, with no detail

andyBart's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow