Started Nov 28, 2008 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
W Cody
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS review
Nov 28, 2008

Construction: This is a solidly built unit. Yes, it is a bit on the heavy side for a
compact, but it's actually a benefit as weight adds to stability.

Features: I've owned dozens of digital cameras, and this one has by far the most
comprehensive feature set yet. It's simple enough for point-and-shoot situations,
while permitting extensive manual control with lots of exposure tweaks and tricks.
This is a photo-geek's best friend. The swivel LCD is so cool. It lets you get shots
otherwise impossible with a normal LCD.

Image quality: I was blown away by pictures taken at 20x zoom. Indoor photos
fully zoomed in (with low light) result in crisp, clear, shake free images.
Astonishing quality even at 100% pixel examination. No, it's not a DSLR (like my
Canon EOS 50D), but this baby will handle a LOT of situations and deliver good
photos with a very high "hit rate."

East of Use: The control dial is a bit fiddly, and requires a soft touch to rotate.
The battery door requires a bit of wrestling to close, but at least it feels very secure.
If you have very large hands, you may find this camera a bit too small. I bought
this for my wife with smaller hands, and she absolutely loves the handling.

Performance: Startup time is relatively quick. Auto face recognition is spooky-
good. Shutter lag is good. Multi-shot rate is a bit on the slow side. Movies are
GREAT.

Value for the money: Great price-point. There's a lot of camera here for the
money.

Bottom line: This camera provides about the best available feature set and image
quality for the money.

Problems:

If you approach this camera understanding the inherent limitations of a compact (i.e.,
non-DSLR with a small sensor), you will not be disappointed. The only "problem" is
that Canon mysteriously decided not to release the CMOS (SX1) version in the US.
Had they done so, I would have purchased it in a heartbeat.

W Cody's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow