Started Jan 9, 2009 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jodi2
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Pentax Optio W60 review
Jan 9, 2009

I was looking for something small&light when the DSLR is too large to carry with you. Also I like wide angle and a tough "inside zoom", waterproof was just nice to have for me.
The older Olympus 725 and 770 mju SW really disappointed me in image quality, AF and shutter lag and manual settings, I hoped the W60 may be a little bit better, even if i didn't expect miracles in noise...

The W60 is just a liittle bit better, AF und shutter lag better than the older Olympuses but still poor and far from up to date, almost any Canon Powershot or my old Fuji F30 do it far far better. There are still no real manual settings, but enough special programs to fulfill at least the most important needs, e.g. night shots are possible, even if you still need to trust the automatic completely.

Image quality is average concerning highlights, dynamic range and CAs, but it's really lousy in noise. Together with the really slow lens it's fatal in everything else than bright sunlight or at full tele zoom. Compared to my old F30 I need at least to double the shutter time for the same picture and to get the same low noise as the F30 needs doubling the time (at least...) once more, so the W60 is about 2-2,5 apertures slower than the F30.

Why can't they make something like the W60 with 4-5MP? Or why does no one continue something like the F30/F31 und puts it in an case like the W60 or the mju SW? Even if lots of beginners want more MP, there would be enough customers interested in that! I definitely don't understand it...

Problems:

slow shutter lag
slow focus
big noise
slow lens
not enough manual settings

jodi2's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow